A historical overview of the department
The nucleus of the Department of Lands and Survey in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan was established under the Ottoman Land Law, issued in 1274 Hijra, corresponding to 1857 AD, where land registration departments were established at that time and were called Tabu or Land Registration Departments.
Treaty of Lausanne
The Ottoman Land Law was issued in 1857, establishing the Department of Land and Survey in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
The Department of Land and Survey (DLS) in the Kingdom has undergone remarkable historical stages, which have had a significant impact on the level of progress achieved by the Department in various fields of service provision related to land and survey services.
Under Article 139 of the Treaty of Lausanne, signed on 24-7-1923, the Emirate of Eastern Jordan obtained records and documents relating to private and public properties. The government then commenced its attempt to reorganize and overcome the existing difficulties. It issued the Land Liberation Bylaw and the Parcellation Law in 1923. In 1927, it issued the Land Liberation and Valuation Law. The name of the Department of Lands appeared on 30-9-1927, under which several departments (the Department of Survey, the Department of State Property, and the Departments of land Registration and Land Liberation) were merged into one entity; the Department of Lands.
In 1951 and 1952, the two departments of land and survey in the two banks (East and West Banks of the Jordan River) were merged. The Department of Land and Survey in the East Bank became responsible for all the 15 land registration directorates in the Kingdom.
The work was conducted using the Palestinian laws until the preparation of laws, where the law of settlement of land and water No. 40 of 1952 and other laws were completed. Most of these laws were issued in 1952 and 1953 and were applicable in the two banks.
During the following years, the Department conducted surveying and settlement of rights and registration matters and expanded the opening of the land registration directorates until they became 32 registration departments covering all parts of the Kingdom. The two settlement teams also deployed to conduct the surveys and prepare the triangulation points that serve the work of the department. The department has taken great steps in the direction of development, modernization, and computerization of its work in recent years, which has had a significant impact on facilitating transactions for citizens and completing their work quickly and easily.
Two offices were opened to serve citizens in their places of residence: Al-Quwaira Office and Ghor Al-Safi Office. Two more offices will soon open in the areas of Al-Hasa and Kafr Assad.